Wednesday 11 May 2016

A Short Introduction

The purpose of this blog is to document the scholarly content and experiences of my study course in Italy, predominately in Rome, in June of 2016. As a research area, I have been assigned to look at the garden in ancient cities. This may be the public garden, such as green spaces, parks, promenades of sorts, or it may be private gardens in yards and estates. I'll look at the different purposes of the garden, from public gathering place and retreat, to subsistence for families, to areas of separation and protection of green space. There will be opportunities to showcase specific gardens and ideas about gardens, and I will be visiting three locations. While the majority of the class time is spent in Rome, time will also be spent in Pompeii and in Narni, and some documentation of gardens in those areas will also be presented here. I hope to combine what I see, what I know, and what I learn into a comprehensive documentation of understanding gardens in ancient Roman life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment